Author Topic: Suggestions to improve efficiency of this forum  (Read 4462 times)

MyFarm

• View Profile
Suggestions to improve efficiency of this forum
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:10:57 pm »
George,

You've done a great job with this forum and deserve our thanks.  I was on the board of directors for a large forum holding company and listened in on countless discussions for improving forums.  One of the things that was always hammered home was to avoid forum dilution (having too many forums with too few threads).  Some suggestions to make this forum more user friendly:

1.  At the very top create a forum titled, "New to Spreadcoin?  Start here".  It's very important for new people to know where to start and to have easy to understand information at their fingertips without having to search all over for it.

2.  Get rid of the whole, "Decentralization" category.  I know it's important to you, but nobody has posted in it and it's taking up valuable real estate.  Start a thread on decentralization in the general forum if you like and if gets tons of replies, THEN maybe start a forum on it.

3.  Get rid of the entire, "Economy" category.  Consolidate all the threads in it into a, "Economics, Marketplace, and Trading Discussion" forum under the top category.  Once that forum gets busy, THEN you can create the new forums.

Those are my suggestions and I think they'd go a long way to making this a more user friendly forum.  Again, you've done a great job so far and it is appreciated.

e1ghtSpace

• Part of the 2 year club
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions to improve efficiency of this forum
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:13:24 pm »
Sounds like a good idea. I'll wait for georgem to make a decision.
We just have to wait.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:19:30 pm »
We can do point 1 and point 3...
but I have something special I'm preparing for point 2.... so even if it looks empty now... people must learn how important decentralization is for spreadcoin.

It will soon start posting there to give everybody an idea in what direction I want this "decentralization forum" to go...

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:20:40 pm »
Sounds like a good idea. I'll wait for georgem to make a decision.

Good job eightspace.

Please create a "New to Spreadcoin?  Start here" subforum in the main "Spreadcoin" thread.

or wait... I can do that too....  8)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:24:58 pm »
Best get rid of the

"Introductions"

and

"Beginners & Help"

Sections too now, right?

Let's put all of them in the first main subforum.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:43 pm »
So, I like this new state of the forum boards.

This is the new most important thread for newcomers:

http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?board=19.0

Please start creating threads about FAQs, Guides etc.. there and make them a sticky.

I suggest we also just let the newcomers introduce themselves there.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:34:05 pm »
One thing I will do is change the style of the appearance of the "New here ? " - Forum, so that is stands out a little bit more...

Stay tuned.

MyFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:14:53 pm »
I personally wouldn't clog the Newbies forum with introductions.  Have it just be guides, FAQ, etc

If you want to keep decentralization, how about moving it below Economics for now?

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 09:17:22 pm »
I personally wouldn't clog the Newbies forum with introductions.  Have it just be guides, FAQ, etc

If you want to keep decentralization, how about moving it below Economics for now?

Enough change for 1 day.

Let's work with that for a few days, and see where this goes.

How about you create or organize a few of those guides, FAQs, etc?

And I will see how I make this important forum for newcomers ("New to Spreadcoin?  Start here") stand out and catch the eye.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 09:19:49 pm »

BTW I am all for getting rid of the "economics" forum alltogether, and have it be a subforum within the forum "Spreadcoin"...
But I will let eightspace decide and handle that...

MyFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 09:22:10 pm »
I'm happy to create the guides but can you please move the intro threads out of there?  They're not important and are just clogging up what will be an extremely important forum.

Thanks!

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 09:26:06 pm »
I'm happy to create the guides but can you please move the intro threads out of there?  They're not important and are just clogging up what will be an extremely important forum.

Thanks!

All your guides will become stickies and stand out. They will always stay at the top.

But I also think it will be nice if we let newcomers introduce themselves in this subforum.

Would that not make sense?

MyFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 09:29:24 pm »
No.  :)

All that forum should contain is 3-7 threads with the single most important info about Spreadcoin so new people know exactly where to click and don't have to wade through crap they don't care about.  Let me give an example:

I was interested in Bitshares.  I wanted to learn what it was about so I went to coinmarketcap.com and followed the link to https://bitsharestalk.org/

After about 30 minutes of trying to figure out what the fuck bitshares actually does, I gave up.  They lost a potential 100+btc investment from me because nowhere on that site does it provide easy to find info to a newbie.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 09:31:53 pm »
Good.
I will give you a clean empty subforum.

Make the best of it!

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 09:49:44 pm »
While you are at it.... how about we proof-read Mr. Spreads texts?

There are a few glaring grammar and syntax errors in his english...  ;D