Author Topic: Suggestions to improve efficiency of this forum  (Read 4461 times)

gjhiggins

Re: Suggestions to improve efficiency of this forum
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 10:23:38 pm »
Ease of use should be paramount.

In no coherent order ...

The “Media” section should aim to contain media information packs for the media as there is no official point of contact. What's currently in Media should probably be migrated to a comprehensive Resources section or somewhere appropriate.

“General discussion about the Spreadcoin ecosystem that doesn't fit better elsewhere.” That's not going to work well, it relies on people knowing what's relevant to where --- which is fail-hard and so the topic is inevitably going to end up as a general catch-all by default. Cut it to just “General discussion about the Spreadcoin ecosystem” and have mods shift topic-specific threads into the relevant topics, just like Bitcointalk does - and which they will do anyway when a general thread develops into a topic-specific discussion as they sometimes do.

“Development & Technical Discussion
The Spreadcoin network in general and Mr Spread's Spreadcoin client. No third-party sites/clients”

Never refuse bug reports or support requests. Never. Mods can always move post/thread.

"That do not require much discussion (use github)." <- this requires people to make a decision without anything reliable to inform the decision - is it realistic to expect a user to be able to gauge whether their bug report requires much discussion or not?

So, which topic would be appropriate for an enquiry about a faucet?

ditto a block explorer

ditto exchanges

ditto help on taking Spreadcoin as payment

Mining ought to change to Getting Spreadcoin and include Masternode payments, faucets, giveaways, etc. and mining.

I'm suggesting that you tune the topics to reflect typical info-seeking/info exchange tasks rather than these less-than-useful separations that typically dissuade all but the deeply committed.

My chops in this field: https://higginsandmacfarlane.net/

Cheers

Graham

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 10:42:26 pm »
You make many good points... I will have to go thru them one by one...

First "Media"...

I agree that it is a little bit misleading... what is posted there at the moment is rather off-topic.
And what you are expecting there is what we now have in the "Marketing" section of the main forum.

You are right that the name "Media" has to go... I guess we will just move it to "Offtopic"...

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 10:52:44 pm »
Ease of use should be paramount.

I'm suggesting that you tune the topics to reflect typical info-seeking/info exchange tasks rather than these less-than-useful separations that typically dissuade all but the deeply committed.

I like this approach a lot.

I changed some of the texts based on your suggestions. Thanks.

I say let's change one thing at a time and see how people take it and if the posts and thread are more ordered from now on.

Thanks everybody for your help, it already looks much better.

MyFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »
I'd suggest adding descriptions to the New to Spreadcoin forum and Technical Support just for continuity stake.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:03 pm »
I'd suggest adding descriptions to the New to Spreadcoin forum and Technical Support just for continuity stake.

Yes ofcourse, just not really sure how to phrase the descriptions yet...

MyFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »
"Your first stop to learn about Spreadcoin.  Information on decentralized mining, masternodes, InstantX, and more of the innovative features that make Spreadcoin such an exciting digital currency."

"Are you having issues with your wallet, masternode, or something else related to Spreadcoin?  We're here to help."

gjhiggins

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 11:28:13 pm »
I like this approach a lot.

Thanks for being receptive, that encourages me to spend more time on constructive posts.

Cheers

Graham

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 11:38:47 pm »
"Your first stop to learn about Spreadcoin.  Information on decentralized mining, masternodes, InstantX, and more of the innovative features that make Spreadcoin such an exciting digital currency."

"Are you having issues with your wallet, masternode, or something else related to Spreadcoin?  We're here to help."

I want to have all descriptions in a more descriptive form. So if possible not phrasing them like questions and not addressing someone in this personal way.

Just short and concise descriptions.

MyFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 12:02:15 am »
"Spreadcoin specs and information regarding decentralized mining, masternodes, InstantX, and other innovative features."

"Get yer shit fixed"

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 12:03:28 am »
I was thinking about removing the IRC Chat subforum, to make the forum more compact.
Also it irritates me that this element looks like a subforum but behaves like a link. I can't get used to that.

Therefor I had this idea:

Maybe move this Link to the region in the middle of the header.
This header section is always empty, and I want to use it to post different kinds of things.
Maybe have it cycle thru a few important announcements, etc...

Anyway... this empty header section could be turned into useful space.

Zeca pagodinho

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 12:04:43 am »
I do not know if it's possible... maybe if there were some threads in different language, which kept the main lines of the forum. I think that helps to improve the reception and welcome.

To help spread these topics could be translated by others in exchange for SpreadCoin. I'm willing to help us gifts.  :)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 12:19:02 am »
I do not know if it's possible... maybe if there were some threads in different language, which kept the main lines of the forum. I think that helps to improve the reception and welcome.

To help spread these topics could be translated by others in exchange for SpreadCoin. I'm willing to help us gifts.  :)

Maybe at a later time.
This moment our community is much too small to create extra subforums for other languages....
I have seen other coins do this, they create dozens of subforums for every known language, and those subforum remain mostly EMPTY.