Author Topic: New members of the SpreadCoin development team  (Read 9892 times)

njs811

• View Profile
Re: New members of the SpreadCoin development team
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 05:32:37 pm »
What mistakes are you seeing?

Would take too long to explain in detail, my background and experience gives me a view that's radically different from most. With all due respect to georgem's initiative in setting up a poll, all such informal exercises conducted on bulletin boards are simply ill-founded and produce results which are indistinguishable from a purely random choice. The people being polled are an unrepresentative sample of the user population and the poll results will be inevitably skewed by that factor. Finding acceptable and properly meaningful labels for technological features is not a trivial matter and is far too important to usability to be abandoned to a skewed plebiscite.

Now we've got a bunch of people who think the feature is going to be called "spreadnodes" which is a bit of a disaster for usability because it gives the user no help whatsoever in creating a shallow but functionally adequate model of the underpinning tech.

There was never a question in the first place: there is no branding programme in process, so there are no branding issues to consider, it is a usability issue plain and simple and so the answer is “service node”. Anyone who wants to launch an informed challenge to the analysis is perfectly free to do so and I would welcome the chance to refine our notions.

I think I'd challenge the consensus with: “Great, you’ve collectively chosen ‘spreadnode’. Now your task is to write the user documentation for this feature in such a way that new users can trivially comprehend the notion. It’s a shame that you didn't choose ‘servicenode’, that would have made the documentation task so much easier.”

Cheers

Graham

In the documentation, we could just firsthandedly mention that "spreadnodes" are just code-name for "servicenodes"  8)

A simple yet effective answer.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 06:23:11 pm »
What mistakes are you seeing?

Would take too long to explain in detail, my background and experience gives me a view that's radically different from most. With all due respect to georgem's initiative in setting up a poll, all such informal exercises conducted on bulletin boards are simply ill-founded and produce results which are indistinguishable from a purely random choice. The people being polled are an unrepresentative sample of the user population and the poll results will be inevitably skewed by that factor. Finding acceptable and properly meaningful labels for technological features is not a trivial matter and is far too important to usability to be abandoned to a skewed plebiscite.

Now we've got a bunch of people who think the feature is going to be called "spreadnodes" which is a bit of a disaster for usability because it gives the user no help whatsoever in creating a shallow but functionally adequate model of the underpinning tech.

There was never a question in the first place: there is no branding programme in process, so there are no branding issues to consider, it is a usability issue plain and simple and so the answer is “service node”. Anyone who wants to launch an informed challenge to the analysis is perfectly free to do so and I would welcome the chance to refine our notions.

I think I'd challenge the consensus with: “Great, you’ve collectively chosen ‘spreadnode’. Now your task is to write the user documentation for this feature in such a way that new users can trivially comprehend the notion. It’s a shame that you didn't choose ‘servicenode’, that would have made the documentation task so much easier.”

Cheers

Graham

A poll is just testing what the community thinks, it is not here to let the community decide the coins fate.
It's not a democracy (democracy is the original 51% attack, lol).

I would like to think that all the polls we make here are not decision-making polls, but rather let the community have a collective "brainstorming" of sorts.

In the end, the person that develops new tech is the one who gets to name things.
We will see which dev pushes spreadcoin forward the most, and that guy will get to decide the name. (with some advice from the community)

From a generic viewpoint the words servernode or servicenode are the simplest solution so that we can stop using the word "masternodes" now already.

Spreadnodes is rather generic too... because it describes a bunch of spread (out) nodes. But that sounds too generic because a wallet is also a spread (out) node.

gjhiggins

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 06:30:47 pm »
In the documentation, we could just firsthandedly mention that "spreadnodes" are just code-name for "servicenodes"  8)

It falls foul of UI rule #1: “No-one ever reads the documentation.”

More seriously, it throws away a golden opportunity to communicate core brand values by demonstration.

Cheers

Graham

gjhiggins

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 06:42:57 pm »
I would like to think that all the polls we make here are not decision-making polls, but rather let the community have a collective "brainstorming" of sorts.

Doesn't address my point that the population is skewed and so are the results, renders the poll pointless. There are far more effective ways of recruiting community engagement than a beauty contest without criteria.

I'm not quite sure where we are on this. Is it broadly accepted that labelling is a usability issue and that documentation is not an answer?

Cheers

Graham

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:10 pm »
There are far more effective ways of recruiting community engagement than a beauty contest without criteria.

Feel free to encourage community engagement in whatever way you think might succeed.

I'm not quite sure where we are on this. Is it broadly accepted that labelling is a usability issue and that documentation is not an answer?

Exactly, that's why I went with the most generic labeling I could think of.
Since our "masternodes" don't really do anything at the moment, we should address them as "servernodes" or "servicenodes",
atleast for now!
Just to leave the door open for what those nodes are going to be in the future.

Maybe a name like "servicenode" is automatically also the best name for the future.

Listen, all this serves only the purpose of making us stop using the word "masternodes".
That's basically the only reason I made the poll, to raise awareness of this problem. (darkcoin/dash trademarking etc)

njs811

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 08:13:11 pm »
There are far more effective ways of recruiting community engagement than a beauty contest without criteria.

Feel free to encourage community engagement in whatever way you think might succeed.

Exactly, that's why I went with the most generic labeling I could think of.
Since our "masternodes" don't really do anything at the moment, we should address them as "servernodes" or "servicenodes",
atleast for now!
Just to leave the door open for what those nodes are going to be in the future.

Maybe a name like "servicenode" is automatically also the best name for the future.

Listen, all this serves only the purpose of making us stop using the word "masternodes".
That's basically the only reason I made the poll, to raise awareness of this problem. (darkcoin/dash trademarking etc)

The problem I have with servicenodes is that it does not tell us what it us. The new comer will have to be taught what it is. If we say servernodes that at least gives the general public a vague idea. We have to give this coin the most user-friendly image we can. That is what attracts people.

gjhiggins

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »

There should be plenty of time to agree on an alternative label for what Darkcoin calls “master nodes”, there's no released SPR code that exposes that label to users and Evan Duffield has merely indicated an intention to pursue trademark applications for the terms.

I think I can re-orient this so that it fits better ...

There are strong UI arguments that substantially favour “service node” above any of the proposed alternatives. From this perspective, it's not something that needed a poll to resolve. Agreed that polls can be beneficial in promoting a sense of community, so they are worth using to best effect.

Cheers

Graham

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 12:13:50 am »
There are strong UI arguments that substantially favour “service node” above any of the proposed alternatives. From this perspective, it's not something that needed a poll to resolve. Agreed that polls can be beneficial in promoting a sense of community, so they are worth using to best effect.

You are preaching to the choir here. I absolutely agree with your arguments why "service node" is the best name possible. (I think I even came up with this name, lol)

It was never the intention of the poll to resolve or reinforce anything, it was just meant as a general assessment.

If anything, the poll is showing that most people in the community just need to be further convinced about the benefits of the UI arguments you are making.

:)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 12:19:13 am »
The problem I have with servicenodes is that it does not tell us what it us. The new comer will have to be taught what it is. If we say servernodes that at least gives the general public a vague idea. We have to give this coin the most user-friendly image we can. That is what attracts people.

But isn't the name servicenode EXACTLY telling anyone what it does and what its task is?
It does that even better than the word servernode: a servicenode is here to provide services.

Emphasis on services.

But in the end, the difference between server and service is miniscule, it's the difference between a noun and a verb:
Fisher ---> Fishing
Baker ---> Baking
Server ---> Service

njs811

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2015, 12:58:28 am »

But isn't the name servicenode EXACTLY telling anyone what it does and what its task is?
It does that even better than the word servernode: a servicenode is here to provide services.

Emphasis on services.

But in the end, the difference between server and service is miniscule, it's the difference between a noun and a verb:
Fisher ---> Fishing
Baker ---> Baking
Server ---> Service

I certainly see your point and I am not set against the name.  Personally I would choose between servicenode or servernode. So if one gets picked over the other I wont dump and throw a fit.  My biggest interest right now would be a time table that we could establish and release to the public.   I do not want to push development (God knows that always ends badly).  In order for SPR to see good growth we need to have slight cost inflation over an extended period of time.  My biggest fear is that we will get everyone excited about ServiceNodes and then they hear nothing about it for three months.  If that is the case then the price will be, at best, stagnation. We will see people trying to invest, then dumping after a short period of time.  As a best guess, what is the latest we could see full blown ServiceNodes?

elbandi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2015, 01:26:12 am »
hmm, guys!  i see this masternode name is a big bikeshed...  :D

njs811

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2015, 01:30:22 am »

Names can make or break a product. While it may seem like a bike-shed it could play an essential role in how the coin develops.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 01:34:45 am »

;D ... but the most trivial things are often the most fun in life.

gjhiggins

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28:30 am »
My biggest interest right now would be a time table that we could establish and release to the public ... As a best guess, what is the latest we could see full blown ServiceNodes?

I think you may be overlooking an important consideration that renders a timescale inappropriate. This is a small, informal group of people who are devoting some of their personal time to developing the coin; families and other responsibilities will (and should) take precedence. Mr Spread didn't set a timetable for the same reason.

Cheers

Graham