Author Topic: CPU mining  (Read 1888 times)

BBS

• View Profile
CPU mining
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:49:16 am »
I am currently running a test miners on my desktop using SPR and Eth, I have a hash rate of 76KH/s ish on my SPR miner, when I start the eth miner I get a hash rate of 1689550. Am I correct in saying that's 1.6MH? If so, why the big difference between the 2 systems.
SkUnk8jPHcwATDmyTA2fmnfwwwXekE5FXE

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
Re: CPU mining
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:36 am »
I am currently running a test miners on my desktop using SPR and Eth, I have a hash rate of 76KH/s ish on my SPR miner, when I start the eth miner I get a hash rate of 1689550. Am I correct in saying that's 1.6MH? If so, why the big difference between the 2 systems.

Yes, that's 1.6 MH.

Well, our algorithm is pretty unique: SpreadX11.
You can't compare hashrates between different coins like that (expect if they use exactly the same algo in the same way).
Spreadcoin's mechanism is pretty exhausting to CPUs and GPUs, (much more than other coins) because we are doing lots and lots of additional processing to achieve "pool prevention".

See mr. spread's whitepaper for more info
http://www.spreadcoin.info/downloads/SpreadCoin-WhitePaper.pdf

BBS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 01:46:41 pm »
Well, our algorithm is pretty unique: SpreadX11.
You can't compare hashrates between different coins like that (expect if they use exactly the same algo in the same way).
Spreadcoin's mechanism is pretty exhausting to CPUs and GPUs, (much more than other coins) because we are doing lots and lots of additional processing to achieve "pool prevention".

See mr. spread's whitepaper for more info
http://www.spreadcoin.info/downloads/SpreadCoin-WhitePaper.pdf

I thought the Hashrate would have been a standard unit of measurement, like MPH(miles per hour).  Not all cars are the same under the hood, but they all measure speed the same way?

Ok, will read the whitepaper. Knew their was a difference, just didn't realise it was that intensive on the CPU/GPU compared to other coins

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:59:26 pm »
I thought the Hashrate would have been a standard unit of measurement, like MPH(miles per hour).  Not all cars are the same under the hood, but they all measure speed the same way?

Ok, will read the whitepaper. Knew their was a difference, just didn't realise it was that intensive on the CPU/GPU compared to other coins

Not all Hashes are the same.

SHA256 is a hashing algorithm that requires a certain amount of CPU cycles,
X11 is another hashing algorithm with a different (much larger!) amount of calculation steps,
and SpreadX11 is doing things in yet another way.

It is only valid to compare Hashes within a given system.

In crypto when they talk about 1 Hash, they mean hashing a dataset until one complete digest is generated.
(since the goal is to find a certain digest that fullfills certains criteria, like having a certain amount of leading zeroes)

It's like when you compare production companies and how many products they can create every second.
It doesn't make sense to apply a standard unit of measurement, since it takes much longer for a car company to create a car, than for a pencil company to create a pencil.

BBS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:29:02 pm »

Not all Hashes are the same.

SHA256 is a hashing algorithm that requires a certain amount of CPU cycles,
X11 is another hashing algorithm with a different (much larger!) amount of calculation steps,
and SpreadX11 is doing things in yet another way.

It is only valid to compare Hashes within a given system.

In crypto when they talk about 1 Hash, they mean hashing a dataset until one complete digest is generated.
(since the goal is to find a certain digest that fullfills certains criteria, like having a certain amount of leading zeroes)

It's like when you compare production companies and how many products they can create every second.
It doesn't make sense to apply a standard unit of measurement, since it takes much longer for a car company to create a car, than for a pencil company to create a pencil.

Thanks, up until now I have only invested in crypto, now I'm having ago myself  :D

Liquid1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 10:18:13 pm »
Hi all, have no idea how this supposed to work, to me it dont work right when trying to start the miner you see dos screen a second then it cut off "how you supposed to see where your mining??????????the wallets the same, i want to see where my pcs are connceting too, so how do i see that and all the time how doo i use other software? that works? i see this making no money just running help........ am running this on a few pcs so am not wasting my bandwith  without a good reason

BBS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 02:37:27 pm »
Hi all, have no idea how this supposed to work, to me it dont work right when trying to start the miner you see dos screen a second then it cut off "how you supposed to see where your mining??????????the wallets the same, i want to see where my pcs are connceting too, so how do i see that and all the time how doo i use other software? that works? i see this making no money just running help........ am running this on a few pcs so am not wasting my bandwith  without a good reason

Think this is what you're after:
1. Open wallet
2. Goto "Tools" then "Debug console"
Type help to view all commands, just a couple below that might help.

>getconnectioncount
>getpeerinfo
>getmininginfo
>gethashespersec

Have you checked the tutorials out
http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?topic=710.0

BBS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 09:16:23 pm »
If I buy an i7 8core 3.5Ghz (think that's what the speed was) 6G Ram, currently no GCard fitted it's second hand from my local shop. What #hash rate could I expect from the CPU? Is it worth using CPU or GPU??

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:33:22 pm »
If I buy an i7 8core 3.5Ghz (think that's what the speed was), currently no GCard fitted it's second hand from my local shop. What #hash rate could I expect from the CPU? Is it worth using CPU or GPU??

If you want to mine SPR you absolutely need a GPU.
If you want to search for Vanitygen addresses you can put a high powered CPU to very good use!

BBS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 09:40:00 pm »
If I buy an i7 8core 3.5Ghz (think that's what the speed was), currently no GCard fitted it's second hand from my local shop. What #hash rate could I expect from the CPU? Is it worth using CPU or GPU??

If you want to mine SPR you absolutely need a GPU.
If you want to search for Vanitygen addresses you can put a high powered CPU to very good use!

Need a Gcard aswell now ;D, so I take it I can run a Miner and Vanitygen simultaneously on the same machine?

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 10:15:54 pm »
Need a Gcard aswell now ;D, so I take it I can run a Miner and Vanitygen simultaneously on the same machine?

Yes, absolutely!

Just watch the temperatures!  :o

BBS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 01:03:32 am »
The new SN (when it comes) will that be CPU as it's not mining, or will it still need GPU?

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 03:48:37 pm »
The new SN (when it comes) will that be CPU as it's not mining, or will it still need GPU?

Yes, CPU mining will aways be possible, but you would be a fool to try and mine with CPU when GPUs can do the job many magnitudes better.

CPU mining will be important for testnet, since that's how we will create our testnet coins, once the testing begins.

BBS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 01:21:31 am »

CPU mining will be important for testnet, since that's how we will create our testnet coins, once the testing begins.

Good.  :)
I'll hopefully be getting the i7 on Sunday, so will be able to assist from next week