Author Topic: Main discussion thread (similar to BCT)  (Read 17126 times)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Main discussion thread (similar to BCT)
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2017, 01:42:59 pm »
BTW, you can check if spreadcoind is running by checking its PID

Code: [Select]
pidof spreadcoind
if it returns a number you know that spreadcoind is running, if not, it isn't.

To shutdown the spreadcoind you need to type

./spreadcoind stop
If you need to use more force because spreadcoind isn't reacting for some reason, then kill its process like this:

kill -9 <the_pid_number_returned_by_pidof>
for example

kill -9 2803
or whatever your PID is.

Hope this helps.

minerpage

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2017, 04:10:29 pm »
I'm planning on testing it on this using Windows 10:

https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1405.html

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2017, 04:47:04 pm »
I'm planning on testing it on this using Windows 10:

https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1405.html

A nice little device.
You should be able to just run the normal windows daemon on it, maybe even the spreadwallet.  8)
2GByte RAM gives many possibilites.

minerpage

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2017, 05:06:01 pm »
maybe even the spreadwallet
That's the idea indeed, as soon as it's ready we can test. There's a version with 4GB just in case it's needed.

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2017, 01:23:38 am »
@georgem - good morning.  I don't know if you had a chance or not but I am ready to run the SPR node.  I just need a little tutorial on getting it to operate under Raspian Jessie.  I can get to the part of downloaded and decompressed from a tarball.  However, I am lost on how to run it.  Thanks - pokeytex (linux noob)  :o

Hey pokey,

here are a few very rudimentary instructions of what you have to do.
(more detailled tutorial will come at a later time).

So, you already have Raspian Jessie installed. Good.
You have downloaded the spreadcoin daemon and decompressed it. Ok

Now navigate into the folder with the daemon, so that you are in the same folder.
BTW, I suggest you use a nice SSH client like for example Bitvise SSH Client (it gives you more possibilites than putty).

Once you are in the folder with the daemon, start it with this command:

./spreadcoind -daemon -server
It will tell you that you need to first create a conf file. (Us starting the daemon once like this has created the necessary .spreadcoin folder in your home directory)

You can either create the conf file on your computer and upload it via the SFTP system of the SSH client (put the conf file into the .spreadcoin folder),
or you can create it directly in the terminal like this:

navigate to your home/.spreadcoin folder like this:

cd ~/.spreadcoin
create the conf file like this:
cat > spreadcoin.conf <<EOFthen just continue typing in the next lines as they appear:
rpcuser=<your rpc username>
rpcpassword=<your rpc password>
daemon=1
server=1
EOF

You typing EOF will close and save the spreadcoin file.
You can add more settings in your conf file according to your needs.

Now go back to your spreadcoind daemon folder, and try the

./spreadcoind -daemon -server
again.

Now the daemon will start and sync, after a while you should be able to do access the daemon like that:

./spreadcoind getinfoor
./spreadcoind getpeerinfo
etc...

So business as usual.

During the sync process the daemon will use 100% of all 4 Raspberry Pi 3 cores, so you might want to monitor its temperature like this:

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp
etc...

There are more things we can do, like move the spreadcoind daemon to the bin folder so that it can be accessed from everywhere,
also if for whatever reason you don't seem to have permission to access the daemon file, you might need to change its file permissions, like this:

sudo chmod 777 spreadcoind
or

sudo chmod +x spreadcoind
I hope this can also somehow help you, pokey.
Please give me your feedback and tell me how far you get.

BTW, it may easily take a few hours to sync if you start from scratch, so what you might want to do is copy the full blockchain data into your .spreadcoin folder via the SSH client to shorten the time.

We will also have to talk about routers and opening ports etc to allow your raspberry pi to have more connections etc...

** KICK ASS TUTORIAL ** Thank you!  I am in the process of downloading the blockchain now.  I definitely had to mess with some permissions and have to use sudo in front of the commands but I am up and running.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2017, 01:00:00 pm »
** KICK ASS TUTORIAL ** Thank you!  I am in the process of downloading the blockchain now.  I definitely had to mess with some permissions and have to use sudo in front of the commands but I am up and running.

Awww look at those tiny little cutie-pies!  ;D

Thanks for your feedback, keep me updated about how it goes.
What temperature are you getting?
And I hope that it uses all 4 cores 100% during the sync?

use

to figure out cpu usage

(press Q to get out of "top")

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2017, 10:57:23 pm »

Awww look at those tiny little cutie-pies!  ;D

Thanks for your feedback, keep me updated about how it goes.
What temperature are you getting?
And I hope that it uses all 4 cores 100% during the sync?

use

to figure out cpu usage

(press Q to get out of "top")

It is alternating between the cores.  I am close to being finished with a fresh sync.  It has been 20 hours and I am around 6.5 million coins.  Not much more to go!

The temperature is a steady 49.4 degrees celsius.

RzeroD

• The Eternal Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2017, 11:20:51 pm »

I have to ask, what are those things and how I can buy a few ones? :0
Do. Or do not. There is no try.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2017, 11:52:37 pm »

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.
Running spreadcoin full nodes 24/7.

They are very inexpensive, everything included (PSU, SDCard, Cables) it should cost you around 55-60 $, not more.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2017, 11:55:40 pm »
It is alternating between the cores.  I am close to being finished with a fresh sync.  It has been 20 hours and I am around 6.5 million coins.  Not much more to go!

Awesome.

Now, imagine that you will be able to automatically setup (no hassle with the terminal) and monitor your raspberry pi's from within the spreadwallet, ---> that's one of the goals of the spreadwallet.
Just plug in a fresh raspberry pi and let the spreadwallet handle the rest.  8)

So... as always ....

stay tuned!  8)

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2017, 01:53:27 am »

Awesome.

Now, imagine that you will be able to automatically setup (no hassle with the terminal) and monitor your raspberry pi's from within the spreadwallet, ---> that's one of the goals of the spreadwallet.
Just plug in a fresh raspberry pi and let the spreadwallet handle the rest.  8)

So... as always ....

stay tuned!  8)

Damn!  I like the sound of that!

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2017, 01:55:01 am »

You can start here - https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Micro-Supply-Listed/dp/B01C6FFNY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490320425&sr=8-1&keywords=rpi3+canakit

And then add on from there.  I am using 64gb chips but I think I am going to upgrade to the 128gb chips.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2017, 05:07:51 am »

Hey pokey,
another question.
You said you installed Raspberry Jessie on your Pi.

What version did you use? A recent one?
Was SSH disabled by default? Or did you have to create an empty file named "ssh" and put it in the /boot folder, before you could remote access your rasp?

I am asking because since a few months ago, they have now disabled SSH by default, as they explain here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-security-update-for-raspbian-pixel/

I don't know which raspberry OS's are affected by this (not the version that I used), but it certainly is good practice to disable SSH by default so that people who want to use it have to specifically enable it first. Also important to change the "pi" user's password immediately after first login.

Anyway, just something to consider.

We certainly want SSH enabled since we want to operate Raspberry Pi's in headless mode, without monitor/keyboard.

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2017, 10:49:08 am »

Hey pokey,
another question.
You said you installed Raspberry Jessie on your Pi.

What version did you use? A recent one?
Was SSH disabled by default? Or did you have to create an empty file named "ssh" and put it in the /boot folder, before you could remote access your rasp?

I am asking because since a few months ago, they have now disabled SSH by default, as they explain here:

I don't know which raspberry OS's are affected by this (not the version that I used), but it certainly is good practice to disable SSH by default so that people who want to use it have to specifically enable it first. Also important to change the "pi" user's password immediately after first login.

Anyway, just something to consider.

We certainly want SSH enabled since we want to operate Raspberry Pi's in headless mode, without monitor/keyboard.

Good morning @Georgem - The version I used is downloaded from here https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

It is:

RASPBIAN JESSIE WITH PIXEL
Image with PIXEL desktop based on Debian Jessie
Version:March 2017
Release date:2017-03-02
Kernel version:4.4

Yes - ssh is disbaled by default which I can assume is a security plus.  I do change the password right away.  LOL it is a little bit of a pain in the arse since now i have to take out the hdmi cable and connect it to a monitor for the first boot-up to enable ssh.  But it isn't that much work!  :P

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2017, 05:25:05 pm »
LOL it is a little bit of a pain in the arse since now i have to take out the hdmi cable and connect it to a monitor for the first boot-up to enable ssh.  But it isn't that much work!  :P

I hear that you don't need to do this anymore.
You can just place an empty file called "ssh" on your raspberry harddisk (just in the top most root folder) and SSH will be enabled.

See here again:

The boot partition on a Pi should be accessible from any machine with an SD card reader, on Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you want to enable SSH, all you need to do is to put a file called ssh in the /boot/ directory. The contents of the file donít matter: it can contain any text you like, or even nothing at all. When the Pi boots, it looks for this file; if it finds it, it enables SSH and then deletes the file. SSH can still be turned on or off from the Raspberry Pi Configuration application or  raspi-config; this is simply an additional way to turn it on if you canít easily run either of those applications.

So before you take out your SD-Card and insert it in your rasp pi, you would just create such a "ssh" named file on the SD-Card through your windows system (or whatever system you are using to burn the image on the SD-Card)