Author Topic: Main discussion thread (similar to BCT)  (Read 21905 times)

RzeroD

• The Eternal Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Main discussion thread (similar to BCT)
« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2017, 08:59:31 pm »
Yeah but what are these cases? Looks cool :D
Do crypto. Or do not. There is no try.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2017, 09:31:56 pm »

Yes, those cases do look pretty awesome, lol.

pokeytex?

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »

Yes, those cases do look pretty awesome, lol.

pokeytex?

Pretty sweet cases - Right! - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HNZTFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:21 pm »
LOL it is a little bit of a pain in the arse since now i have to take out the hdmi cable and connect it to a monitor for the first boot-up to enable ssh.  But it isn't that much work!  :P

I hear that you don't need to do this anymore.
You can just place an empty file called "ssh" on your raspberry harddisk (just in the top most root folder) and SSH will be enabled.

See here again:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-security-update-for-raspbian-pixel/

The boot partition on a Pi should be accessible from any machine with an SD card reader, on Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you want to enable SSH, all you need to do is to put a file called ssh in the /boot/ directory. The contents of the file donít matter: it can contain any text you like, or even nothing at all. When the Pi boots, it looks for this file; if it finds it, it enables SSH and then deletes the file. SSH can still be turned on or off from the Raspberry Pi Configuration application or  raspi-config; this is simply an additional way to turn it on if you canít easily run either of those applications.

So before you take out your SD-Card and insert it in your rasp pi, you would just create such a "ssh" named file on the SD-Card through your windows system (or whatever system you are using to burn the image on the SD-Card)

I will try this on my next PI.  I am new to linux so everything is a hurdle for me!  ::)

RzeroD

• The Eternal Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2017, 12:30:08 pm »
georgem the SpreadCoin Daemon is only available for RPi 3? There is no version for windows or other linux distros? I want to test the service nodes system ^^
Do crypto. Or do not. There is no try.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2017, 02:13:51 pm »
georgem the SpreadCoin Daemon is only available for RPi 3? There is no version for windows or other linux distros? I want to test the service nodes system ^^

Look here:

http://spreadcoin.info/downloads.php

Here are all the downloads available if you want to run a node in another system.

Servicenodes are not available yet.

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:40 pm »

Look here:

http://spreadcoin.info/downloads.php

Here are all the downloads available if you want to run a node in another system.

Servicenodes are not available yet.

I believe I am running (2) nodes - one on my windows machine (wallet & daemon) and one on the Rpi3 - Is that possible on the same IP?  Although I use a VPN on the Windows machine - so it is (2) separate IP's.  LOL - I think I just answered my own question.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2017, 03:21:07 pm »
I believe I am running (2) nodes - one on my windows machine (wallet & daemon) and one on the Rpi3 - Is that possible on the same IP?  Although I use a VPN on the Windows machine - so it is (2) separate IP's.  LOL - I think I just answered my own question.

That is a very interesting and far-reaching question.

It depends how you want your full node to appear to the outside world (so that other nodes can find it).

To first answer your question. YES, you can have as many nodes (of the same coin) as you like behind the same external IP, but NOT behind the same IP and Port!

Meaning, if you set your router to forward port 41678 to a specific computer in your local network, then that computer is the only node that will be accessible through this IP/Port combination.
Any other local nodes will have to use another port and will only be able to make outbound connections to the network, they will not easily accept inbound connections. (which is actually good from a security standpoint)

This is the whole secret behind why some full nodes max out at 8 connections,
but other nodes (on a server for example) can have 100 or more connections.
The latter is more visible to the outside world and is broadcasting in the IP/(official Port) combination for other nodes to use.

In that sense, this is all very interesting, because it ties a little to this general theme that we keep hearing about with bitcoin,
you know... that bitcoin has 5-6000 full nodes?
Yes, but those are all full nodes that run on the official port and are therefor easily accessible by other nodes and will readily accept both outbound and inbound connections.
But there are actually probably 20-30000 additional full bitcoin nodes that run in the same mode that your secondary rasp pi is running,
such "secondary full nodes" are able to connect to the network and share blockchain data, but they do not allow inbound connections just like that.

You can do the following experiment:

Set up your router to forward port 41678 to a certain node in your local network, and then observe what happens to the max connections with this node and the other "secondary" nodes (that don't use the official SPR port).

Fun stuff, I like your questions a lot pokey, you are thinking! 8)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2017, 03:26:10 pm »
Another example:

I am GPU-mining on a machine in my workshop, so I want to be connected to as many other nodes as possible to reduce the risk of orphan blocks.

Now, if I don't forward port 41678 to this specific miner node computer, then that node maxes out at 8 connections,
but if I do open and forward the port I get much more connections.

Currently it has 45 connections.

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »
Another example:

I am GPU-mining on a machine in my workshop, so I want to be connected to as many other nodes as possible to reduce the risk of orphan blocks.

Now, if I don't forward port 41678 to this specific miner node computer, then that node maxes out at 8 connections,
but if I do open and forward the port I get much more connections.

Currently it has 45 connections.

Oooh - That is some very interesting shiznit!  I did check my mining wallet and it only has ( 8 ) connections.  I also checked my new Rpi3 node and only ( 8 ) connections.  I will forward the port as you described and see what happens to the mining wallet.

Ok - I realize I had changed the port that my mining wallet is on.  That shouldn't matter correct?  Now should I change the port to the Rpi3 node in the .conf file and restart the daemon?  Also, do I need to restart the wallet to have the connections increase or is it on the fly once the router is set up properly?

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2017, 12:00:45 am »
Ok - I realize I had changed the port that my mining wallet is on.  That shouldn't matter correct?  Now should I change the port to the Rpi3 node in the .conf file and restart the daemon?  Also, do I need to restart the wallet to have the connections increase or is it on the fly once the router is set up properly?

You need to restart it.
For nodes that are connected with your mining operation it's better to use the official port.
You want to look as official as possible to any outside nodes, so they will readily connect with you.

Or in other words: you want your local node to look and act like an actual server.

But be careful what ports you forward, don't open more ports than necessary, be very specific.
Don't activate any of the UPNP shit, it's not needed.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2017, 12:02:30 am »
Also remember, you can only forward a port to ONE SINGLE specific device in your local network.
It's not possible to forward a port to more than one local IP.

You see that is exactly what makes that one specific device more "attractive" to the outside world.
And that's why the connectivity improves.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2017, 01:59:46 pm »
Pure insanity, eh?

Well, my GPUs and Raspberry-Pi-Cluster are now fully funded.
Thanks to the buyers for making this possible.

8)

Stay tuned!

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2017, 12:25:55 am »
Pure insanity, eh?

Well, my GPUs and Raspberry-Pi-Cluster are now fully funded.
Thanks to the buyers for making this possible.

8)

Stay tuned!

Which GPU's did you settle on?

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2017, 12:58:36 pm »
Which GPU's did you settle on?

Right now

2x GTX 1050 Ti (already installed)
and
1x GTX 1080 Ti (ordered, will receive next week)

But I will buy more a little later, when prices come down a little.