Author Topic: Main discussion thread (similar to BCT)  (Read 21860 times)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Main discussion thread (similar to BCT)
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2017, 06:49:07 am »
From Bitcointalk:
> georgem December 24, 2016, 07:38:31 PM
> I got some presents for you guys that you can unpack next week.

Presents? Next Week?

Any minute now.
I do have a 100% dayjob you know?
And beginning of year is always the busiest.

Stay tuned, everything promised will be delivered.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2017, 07:07:52 am »
Pokeytex wrote an interesting PM, and I'm going to address it publicly here:

Hello Georgem - I just wanted to take a moment to say hi and possibly give my advice to you.  Take it or leave it as you may.  I like you and I think you are doing and going to do great work on SPR!  Not because I am invested but because I see the potential in the designs and ideas you put out.  I am with you the whole way and hope that you are able to make it all work out.  With that said, I would like to advise you on not giving any timelines.  People hold your word as gospel and frankly I have fallen into the category once in a while especially with the Christmas "present" comment a couple weeks ago.  My advice is to not disclose any time frame and post maybe what you are working on.  Under promise and over deliver.  I know you have a day job and I am sure your personal life is as hectic as mine with family and all but the natives are getting restless and the negativity on the forum is starting to grow like a cancer.  If you have anything to satiate the appetites temporarily please post it.  From there - no more deadlines!  :o - Be well - Pokeytex

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, you are right.  8)

But even if I didn't give a deadline, someone is always going to complain about something.
IMHO my wrong deadline estimations are the least of SPR's problems (and they will go away over time).

It's this whole "faux urgency" as someone else stated, that goes on in certain parts of the community.
That's why a certain brand of people seems a little bit restless right now!
My wrong deadlines don't correlate with the "faux urgency" in their head, and that is what causes them "cognitive dissonance" and ultimately makes them snap!

We have a tiny group of people who own an insane amount of SPR (probably 5 Million in the hands of no more than 10 people),
and they can't wait to do "something" with it, they don't give a fuck about decentralization etc.
They want that quick masternode-wealth-redistribution-scam, do some scammy PR, move the price 20x-30x, dump their coins and be done with it.

I have more long term goals, believe me.  8)

It is true that I keep planning deadlines as if I was already working pretty much 100% on this project, when the reality during the last 12 months has been on average 0-10%.
I probably do this unconsciously (out of gleeful anticipation), but then my dayjob always catches up on me with a loud wake-up call.
In fact, that is the reason why I am working on this patronage scheme, so that there is a possibility of gradually increasing the amount of time I can invest every month.

But your advice is good, and I will take it.

And BTW, I don't mind that some people are starting to act "cancerous" on BCT, they have always been doing that, and if anything I always welcome it when someone shows me their true colors.
It helps me adapt, adjust my wrong expectations and choose more fitting solutions to counteract this. (I am working on a pretty thorough solution here...  8))

Anyway, thanks for your patience,
all I can say is, I will be here, 2017, 2018, 2019... etc.
 8)

Very interesting stuff coming,
and the first priority should be to have more regular updates, indeed.

P.S.: I hope you don't mind that I post your PM publicly, but in the interest of transparency from now on I will be posting publicly any PM I receive to address them accordingly.
It should help everybody (and especially newcomers) to figure out what is going on behind the scenes.
You won't believe the PMs I am getting, lmao.
Yours is one of the good ones.  ;D

minerpage

• Admin / Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2017, 04:36:24 pm »
We have a tiny group of people who own an insane amount of SPR (probably 5 Million in the hands of no more than 10 people),
and they can't wait to do "something" with it, they don't give a fuck about decentralization etc.
They want that quick masternode-wealth-redistribution-scam, do some scammy PR, move the price 20x-30x, dump their coins and be done with it.

What a sad and confusing statement (if I read it the way it's written).

I disagree and honestly, most of those people have saved SPR from obscurity, kept it listed on at least one exchange. Some of us kept buying because nobody else did. And I doubt your statement about 10 people owning 5M SPR.

Most of those people have put a lot on the line *financially* (with their hard earned money) to keep SPR afloat and to dismiss that effort in a PnD accusation is beneath you. I think I know most of the people you are dismissing in that post and the truth is the opposite: we all want this to succeed. We are eager for it to succeed, for no other reasons than to see it grow.

The urgency is not as much to make money (some of it would float back to you and cancel the need of a day job) but some of us feel the urgency because it is a fast moving landscape and innovations happen at the speed of light. Some anxiety exists because by the time something is on the market, it is too late.

If you stand by those few lines you wrote, you might be projecting scam methods used in the alt market on your own coin. That's what makes me most sad of all. You really have a lot of support that doesn't get appreciated.

On the other hand, glad you confirmed you're only able to work between 0%-10%, something I felt but couldn't confirm. That is fine in itself, now we can all adjust expectations.

Please change your negative view of your own support system. And if someone dumps, who cares, others will gladly pick up the extra SPR available on the market.

As soon as you have the donation system ready you shouldn't have to depend on a day job as much. I hope you change your mind about that statement and use your supporters to move SPR ahead.

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2017, 05:07:20 pm »
Pokeytex wrote an interesting PM, and I'm going to address it publicly here:

Hello Georgem - I just wanted to take a moment to say hi and possibly give my advice to you.  Take it or leave it as you may.  I like you and I think you are doing and going to do great work on SPR!  Not because I am invested but because I see the potential in the designs and ideas you put out.  I am with you the whole way and hope that you are able to make it all work out.  With that said, I would like to advise you on not giving any timelines.  People hold your word as gospel and frankly I have fallen into the category once in a while especially with the Christmas "present" comment a couple weeks ago.  My advice is to not disclose any time frame and post maybe what you are working on.  Under promise and over deliver.  I know you have a day job and I am sure your personal life is as hectic as mine with family and all but the natives are getting restless and the negativity on the forum is starting to grow like a cancer.  If you have anything to satiate the appetites temporarily please post it.  From there - no more deadlines!  :o - Be well - Pokeytex

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, you are right.  8)

But even if I didn't give a deadline, someone is always going to complain about something.
IMHO my wrong deadline estimations are the least of SPR's problems (and they will go away over time).

It's this whole "faux urgency" as someone else stated, that goes on in certain parts of the community.
That's why a certain brand of people seems a little bit restless right now!
My wrong deadlines don't correlate with the "faux urgency" in their head, and that is what causes them "cognitive dissonance" and ultimately makes them snap!

I have more long term goals, believe me.  8)

It is true that I keep planning deadlines as if I was already working pretty much 100% on this project, when the reality during the last 12 months has been on average 0-10%.
I probably do this unconsciously (out of gleeful anticipation), but then my dayjob always catches up on me with a loud wake-up call.
In fact, that is the reason why I am working on this patronage scheme, so that there is a possibility of gradually increasing the amount of time I can invest every month.

But your advice is good, and I will take it.

And BTW, I don't mind that some people are starting to act "cancerous" on BCT, they have always been doing that, and if anything I always welcome it when someone shows me their true colors.
It helps me adapt, adjust my wrong expectations and choose more fitting solutions to counteract this. (I am working on a pretty thorough solution here...  8))

Anyway, thanks for your patience,
all I can say is, I will be here, 2017, 2018, 2019... etc.
 8)

Very interesting stuff coming,
and the first priority should be to have more regular updates, indeed.

P.S.: I hope you don't mind that I post your PM publicly, but in the interest of transparency from now on I will be posting publicly any PM I receive to address them accordingly.
It should help everybody (and especially newcomers) to figure out what is going on behind the scenes.
You won't believe the PMs I am getting, lmao.
Yours is one of the good ones.  ;D

@Georgem - I don't mind that you quote my PM.  I have nothing to hide.  I think your responses will help myself and others understand your position better.  Remember we are all here because of your efforts.  I don't know anything about coding so I cannot not help like others want to but I can tell you after losing all of my coins last January (to a hacker) SPR is one of only (5) coins I am in  now.  I have mined all of my SPR and am by no means SPR rich! Yet! ;) I believe in SPR and what the mechanics will be when all comes to fruition.  This includes the decentralization part of it.  Your last project update with the various coins in the same wallet really stoked me.  I will continue to donate to you when I can afford to so it helps you with your efforts on development.    Lastly, don't get frustrated with the community.  I know it is hard sometimes.  Please understand we are all foaming at the mouth to see what you create. ;D  We are a proud community.  Just take a deep breath and put one foot in front of the other when dealing with us.  We can be impatient sometimes.  ** Disclaimer: I know I shouldn't use "WE" because I sound like I speak for the community.  Believe me I have no delusions that I represent the community! **  :P - Peace out - Pokeytex

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2017, 06:34:22 pm »
What a sad and confusing statement (if I read it the way it's written).

Minerpage, you deserve a detailed answer.
So let me clarify it for you, so you don't have to put words in my mouth.

In short:

I have no problem with people buying lots of SPR, that is a natural early centralization that happens with all coins, even bitcoin.
Such a centralization is temporary and is dealt with later, or becomes irrelevant.
Early investors should make a profit (through the mere price increase of a coin that "makes it"), and one of my goals is to make it worthwhile for miners and investors in the long term.
Absolutely. I want to reward loyalty.

What I have a giant problem with is people who own large portions of SPR and now want to use this centralization to push for all kinds of scams (like mr.spread's implementation of the ultimate wealth-redistribution-scam called masternodes).
This will naturally lead to the centralization of many servicenodes in the hands of a few people.
And what's worse with SPR is that we are talking about servicenodes who will be supervising other coins full nodes???
So WOW, I can't imagine a bigger clusterfuck from a (de)centralization standpoint.

Am I the only one who is worried about this?  8)
I hope not.

And when I say that "I have a problem with those people" I don't want you to think that I am losing sleep over all this.
I am merely trying to explain to you why some people on BCT behave like "cancer" lately, and are FUDding like crazy, lmao!

My desire that I want to uphold the principles of decentralization is the only thing that drives me.
Having good principles makes decision-making very easy.

So I just continue my work as best as I can, ... lol

I will address the trolls later.  8)

I disagree and honestly, most of those people have saved SPR from obscurity, kept it listed on at least one exchange. Some of us kept buying because nobody else did. And I doubt your statement about 10 people owning 5M SPR.

It's true what they say: you shouldn't mess with the market and just allow it to represent the true value.
What exactly is wrong with that?
The current 0.015$ are much better representing the current value of 1 SPR than any artificial situation you think you are supposed to uphold.
And for who exactly? To make the exchange rich?

What I mean is, I can't really be grateful to anyone who thinks he is supposed to keep SPR's price at a certain level.
What I can say with certainty is that Bittrex can go fuck themselves for creating this artificial pressure where coins are threatened with delisting, which in turn encourages many coins to waste a lot of money or turn into downright pump-and-dumps. That's what makes me sad.

Also, sorry, but you are contradicting yourself here, if - as you say - some of you kept buying "because nobody else did", and you did this for many months, then this is without doubt the confirmation that a tiny few own millions of SPR.

But that's OK.

Again, I want to emphasize that I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who owns large amounts of SPR. I am actually happy for you!
It's a free market, you can buy and sell as many SPR as you will find counterparties to close the deal with you.
It's between you, your buyer/seller and the exchange.

Most of those people have put a lot on the line *financially* (with their hard earned money) to keep SPR afloat and to dismiss that effort in a PnD accusation is beneath you.

SPR will be afloat aslong as a dev is coding, miners are mining and a community is interested to participate.
Big whales are just one of many animals that come together to make SPR work.

What? Are you trying to say that there aren't people within the SPR community that wanted to turn it into the usual ponzi-like machine since day one?
If I wasn't so protective, SPR would probably not exist anymore, because it would have gone the way most PnD coins go. That is just the truth.

But again, my accusations are not directed at anyone particular, since I will never let anything of this sort happen to SPR anyway, haha!  ;D

As long as I am the lead dev, all these scenarios are hypothetical anyway.
I guess I just want to explain why some people are behaving strangely right now.
8)

I think I know most of the people you are dismissing in that post and the truth is the opposite: we all want this to succeed. We are eager for it to succeed, for no other reasons than to see it grow.

Success by itself is meaningless, it's how you achieve that goal that matters.
Any scamcoin that "successfully" hustled lots of money from its victims has been a big success for its perpetrators.

BTW, I am not dismissing any particular person, just a particular behavior.
I like our community in general, small and cuddly,... like a dwarf hamster?

On the other hand, glad you confirmed you're only able to work between 0%-10%, something I felt but couldn't confirm. That is fine in itself, now we can all adjust expectations.

Confirmed?  :o
Have I not talked about this over and over again during the last year that I barely have time to work on this project?

I think the patronage system I am currently working on is the first promising system that will allow people to support me (and probably other devs we would need to carefully choose) while allowing me to stay fully independent and not be affiliated to any group of investors behind the scenes.

The only boss that I have are mathematics and the principles of decentralization.

As soon as you have the donation system ready you shouldn't have to depend on a day job as much. I hope you change your mind about that statement and use your supporters to move SPR ahead.

SPR is cheap as fuck. If you allow me to do my job and help me with the patronage I should soon be able to slowly increase the amount of time I can work on SPR,
while simultaneously decreasing the amount of time I spent on my dayjob. This could actually work, because as a self-employed programmer I can be more flexible than someone who has a 9-to-5-job.
But don't say that I shouldn't have to depend on a day job.
It's very dangerous to cut stable legs off just based on wishful thinking.
I need a little bit more security than that.

I am confident that over time I can increase the time I spend working on SPR, which will increase the accuracy of my deadlines and timeframes.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2017, 06:46:49 pm »
I forgot:

The urgency is not as much to make money (some of it would float back to you and cancel the need of a day job) but some of us feel the urgency because it is a fast moving landscape and innovations happen at the speed of light. Some anxiety exists because by the time something is on the market, it is too late.

I think this is the main reason why we see so much copy-pasta in so many coins, instead of true innovation.
We have to move fast, right? No time for research, self-reflection, evolution etc..?
This is actually the context in which I saw gregory maxwell adress "faux urgency" (if I recall correctly)... to describe exactly this "fake urgency" to "do something for the sake of doing something" which is insane if you think about it.

I don't think that bitcoin moves at lightspeed. True standards can by definition not allow themselves to change quickly and often, or else adaptation will get jeopardized and all fucked up.
Just look at the bitcoin block size debate and how long it has been going on...

So we got that going FOR us, not against us.

If you stand by those few lines you wrote, you might be projecting scam methods used in the alt market on your own coin.

Seriously, I was just trying to explain why trolls and fudsters are having a tantrum right now. Nothing else.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2017, 06:54:37 pm »
BTW, in the interest of further adding transparency I moved all SPR i own to my "Shutup"-Address.

http://chainz.cryptoid.info/spr/address.dws?ShutUpHxbuLdy22g9NE4afviUr2Cnqd68H.htm

I have a special announcement to make regarding this money, once I have the spreadminer and servicenode-research announcement ready.
They kinda necessitate each other.

Stay tuned.

8)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2017, 07:01:49 pm »
Your last project update with the various coins in the same wallet really stoked me.  I will continue to donate to you when I can afford to so it helps you with your efforts on development.   

Amen to that.
As I said, I want to create the wallet that I myself always wanted to have!  8)

Lastly, don't get frustrated with the community.  I know it is hard sometimes. 

I'm not frustrated in the slightest.
You know, I am convinced on more than just one level that patronage is the right way to move forward.

1) Those who want to help me can now do so. (and I can properly reward them for doing so)
2) Those who don't want to support me can just sit on their pile of SPR and angrily wave their fist. 8)

That's how I see it.

Now let me finish the next update, so I can soon send you guys an actual preview version. Lots of initial work still needs to be done so that the program runs stable on different machines with different configurations.

minerpage

• Admin / Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2017, 07:10:29 pm »
Seriously, I was just trying to explain why trolls and fudsters are having a tantrum right now. Nothing else.

Ok, appreciate that and the other clarifications  8)

and help me with the patronage

Was the plan to get an account on https://www.patreon.com/ so we could contribute in many currencies?

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2017, 07:15:13 pm »
Your last project update with the various coins in the same wallet really stoked me.  I will continue to donate to you when I can afford to so it helps you with your efforts on development.   

Amen to that.
As I said, I want to create the wallet that I myself always wanted to have!  8)

Lastly, don't get frustrated with the community.  I know it is hard sometimes. 

I'm not frustrated in the slightest.
You know, I am convinced on more than just one level that patronage is the right way to move forward.

1) Those who want to help me can now do so. (and I can properly reward them for doing so)
2) Those who don't want to support me can just sit on their pile of SPR and angrily wave their fist. 8)

That's how I see it.

Now let me finish the next update, so I can soon send you guys an actual preview version. Lots of initial work still needs to be done so that the program runs stable on different machines with different configurations.

Well said!  :D

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2017, 07:22:50 pm »
Was the plan to get an account on https://www.patreon.com/ so we could contribute in many currencies?

The patreon site is up, it just doesn't have any content yet:

https://www.patreon.com/hamsterinthemachine

I go by the name "hamster in the machine", lol... I will have to explain...

It's the first time I use patreon, but I have only heard nice things about them.
Let's see how this goes.

I don't know how easy it is for you to make a pledge.
I would appreciate it if you made a 1$ pledge to test.
Thanks!

minerpage

• Admin / Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2017, 07:35:48 pm »
"hamster in the machine"
Like it... $1 test done... easy as pie  8)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2017, 07:42:37 pm »
"hamster in the machine"

Wow, works great.

Thanks.

I will define goals and rewards for patreon that will work a little bit different than the rewards I outlined for cryptocurrencies.

I will do some thinking.

But first the new video update, followed by a first preview version for you guys.
Then followed by the two announcements.

Sorry for the delays, but I will keep you updated.

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2017, 04:35:36 pm »
"hamster in the machine"

Wow, works great.

Thanks.

I will define goals and rewards for patreon that will work a little bit different than the rewards I outlined for cryptocurrencies.

I will do some thinking.

But first the new video update, followed by a first preview version for you guys.
Then followed by the two announcements.

Sorry for the delays, but I will keep you updated.

This is a cool tool - However I will continue my donations in SPR -  :P

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2017, 08:02:27 pm »
@georgem - When you say you are going to work on a new miner for Spreadcoin - do you mean the algorithm will change or you will make the miner better than what is available now?  I am curious because I use the custom one from SP however he hasn't updated it in quite a long time.  Just curious is all.  Thanks - pokeytex