Author Topic: Main discussion thread (similar to BCT)  (Read 26174 times)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Main discussion thread (similar to BCT)
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2017, 11:28:32 am »

Will the plexiglas plates stand off from each other with the posts or is their slats that they will go into?

The plates themselves are the slates.
They will be approximately 5 cm apart.
I will saw grooves into the caging where the slates will slide into.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2017, 11:34:18 am »
I was thinking - why not just using a large number of virtual machines?

I thought about that.
I don't think you can "just" do it like that.

It's not just that it is complicated to properly emulate all the hardware on a desktop pc (CPU/RAM/Diskspace of 48 x "rasp pi 3" nodes means: 192x 1.2 GHz ARM CPU-Cores with 48 GByte RAM, and BTW diskspace of each node would have to be emulated in RAM too, because you are going to have a hundred or so read/write operations on your "virtual harddisk" at the same time. It would kill your local harddisk).
So just the RAM requirements of such a virtual machine host would be gigantic.

But the real problem is that it's even more complicated to emulate an actual P2P Network, with actual TCP sockets and MAC addresses etc.
(each node would need to have a unique IP capable to have multiple connections with other nodes, sending packages to each other all the time.)

Can this be done virtually without having to spend more money than just buying lots of raspberries and a switch?
I don't know.

Maybe someone can try that approach?  ::)

dominus

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2017, 02:39:15 pm »
I'm quite sure there is no need for so much ram. The disk can handle many connections as it handles when downloading torrents etc...

The network is a bigger issue offcourse.

I forgot to mention also it would make sense only if You allready had the good and available PC or more of them.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2017, 06:28:32 pm »
I'm quite sure there is no need for so much ram.

Depends on what you want to do.
I don't think you grasp the scope of the project, lol
It's good when the "testnet in a box" has much headroom to do extensive experiments,
why would I limit myself from the getgo?

The disk can handle many connections as it handles when downloading torrents etc...

Yes, a program usually flushes data to its files in regular intervals and not all the time.
But I have no idea how (or if) a virtual machine manager is going to handle the fileIO of multiple independently running systems.

Sure, your bittorrent handles many connections at the same time and has a flushing-schedule when writing data to files,
but try and open MULTIPLE bittorrent-like programs side by side and see what happens.  8)

E.g. when I run bittorrent and JDownloader at the same time and with high workload I can usually forget doing anything else with the harddisks occupied by those two programs during that time.
It will just be too slow.

The network is a bigger issue offcourse.

I forgot to mention also it would make sense only if You allready had the good and available PC or more of them.

I don't think we are talking about "normal PCs" here anymore when you are looking for something that is able to virtualize such a high load.

dominus

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 10, 2017, 05:27:02 am »

I don't think you grasp the scope of the project, lol

I think You are right  :P

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2017, 03:08:38 am »
Testing with 10 Raspberries.

Not yet in slate mode, ... but soon.

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2017, 09:25:50 am »
Testing with 10 Raspberries.

Not yet in slate mode, ... but soon.

Hot diggity dog!  Look at that setup.  You're like a mad scientist bringing Frankenstein to life!  LOL 

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2017, 02:07:19 pm »
Hot diggity dog!  Look at that setup.  You're like a mad scientist bringing Frankenstein to life!  LOL

Why thanks, but I'm just an assistant.

Here is the real boss, reviewing progress:

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:03 am »
Sweet - I use all 1070's.  Let me know how that 1080ti works.  I am looking to purchase some more rigs.  Might consider the 1080's.

MSI 1080 ti works so well, wow!

It makes about 15.5 MHash with sp_ and a little tweaking.

(I am sure I could overclock more.. but I like how silent and cool it now is, barely 70 degrees C)

pokeytex

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2017, 01:17:57 am »
Sweet - I use all 1070's.  Let me know how that 1080ti works.  I am looking to purchase some more rigs.  Might consider the 1080's.

(I am sure I could overclock more.. but I like how silent and cool it now is, barely 70 degrees C)

Hot damn!  That sounds like a sweet card, you probably can't stop staring at it! LOL

dominus

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2017, 01:23:10 pm »

Is this in an open rig? How many degrees in the room? And What is the gpu frequency on the default settings?

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2017, 01:48:47 pm »
Is this in an open rig? How many degrees in the room? And What is the gpu frequency on the default settings?

Yes, open rig.

This is the exact model I have:

MSI GEFORCEŽ GTX 1080 TI GAMING X 11G

Look here for specifications:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-GAMING-X-11G.html#hero-overview

I run it together with a Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti on one motherboard, powerneed of the whole system is ca 450 Watts.
So "degrees in the room" is not something I worry about because how much heat you think 450 Watt will produce?

dominus

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2017, 02:12:58 pm »
@georgem
I'm just comparing to my 1070. I expected to see higher temperatures on 1080ti but it depends on many factors... One is room temp ;)

edit:
Picture for comparision @room temp 21.6°C

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2017, 06:02:09 pm »
I expected to see higher temperatures on 1080ti but it depends on many factors... One is room temp ;)

Ofcourse, I just don't think the parameter "room temp" is very meaningful.
I mean, how big is your room, how does hot air leave and fresh air enter (is there even ventilation?), etc.
Also, what's the climate like in your country?  ;)

For example, if you have a tiny room then high room temperature is kinda expected, but if you have a big room and STILL have high room temperature I would start to worry.

But yeah, how much Wattage are we talking about...

BTW, my room is ca 20 square meters in size, and room temp was 22 degrees after one whole night/day of mining.
Location is switzerland, and just 4 days ago it snowed here (it sometimes does that in april). Snow has melted in the mean time but temperate outside is just 9 degrees right now. So that's that ... 8)

Here's a screenshot of my setup:

dominus

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2017, 07:42:45 pm »
@georgem
Tnx for screenie ;)

I don't care about the room temp itself, just wanted the gpu ambient temp. for a comparision as I said... My gpu is also in an open rig and not in a gpu sandwich.