Author Topic: Mining with 970 GTX and nothing for 24 hrs so far. Should I give up?  (Read 1113 times)

andylittleton

• View Profile
Mining with a single 970 GTX and nothing for 24 hrs so far. Should I give up?

am I outgunned?  I just want to break even with electricity cost and see if this thing even works.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Mining with 970 GTX and nothing for 24 hrs so far. Should I give up?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:04:43 pm »
How many hashes does this GPU make?

CoinDigger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:15:03 pm »
Hi georgem..sorry to interfere with the  conversation..just want to ask if  can i  mine just using my pc without any other hardware?

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 01:59:28 pm »
Hi georgem..sorry to interfere with the  conversation..just want to ask if  can i  mine just using my pc without any other hardware?

Sure you can, just use the built-in CPU miner of the Qt-Wallet.
Your chances to find a block will be approximately 500 times smaller than someone who uses a GPU.
But go ahead, if it so pleases you.

crypticj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 05:46:23 pm »
Mining with a single 970 GTX and nothing for 24 hrs so far. Should I give up?

am I outgunned?  I just want to break even with electricity cost and see if this thing even works.

I am going through the same dilema i ran it on GTX 1070 for around 24 hours without any block i am getting 12.5 MH/s with the new CCminer.

Which is approximately .38% of the current network hash rate so theoretically i should be finding a block every 200 minutes or so, or about 5-6 blocks per day.

[Your hash Rate/Network Average Rate (over 24 hours) ] x 100 = Percent of Hashrate you contribute to network

Multiply that by 1440 (Because average is 1 block every 1 min) i should be getting atleast 5-6 blocks per day.

So Not finding even a single block is very highly unlikely i am not sure if i am doing something wrong.

CoinDigger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:34:42 pm »

Sure you can, just use the built-in CPU miner of the Qt-Wallet.
Your chances to find a block will be approximately 500 times smaller than someone who uses a GPU.
But go ahead, if it so pleases you.

tnx a lot buddy..  :)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:26 pm »
So Not finding even a single block is very highly unlikely i am not sure if i am doing something wrong.

Take a look at this tutorial here "how to solo mine spreadcoin"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhDzpiBLDcA&feature=youtu.be

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:53:56 pm »

Try and mine for longer than 24 hours and see what happens.

For your calculation you have to take into account that this is not how randomness works, you aren't "owed" a certain amount of blocks every day, you only have a certain "increased chance" to find those blocks (and so does everyone else according to the hash power they bring to the table).

I've been mining for a while, and I am used to days where I mine practically nothing, and days where I mine even more than what I expected.

I suggest you watch that tutorial, and maybe also try and increase the number of connections your wallet has with the network. (should reduce orphan blocks)

crypticj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:10:41 pm »

Try and mine for longer than 24 hours and see what happens.

For your calculation you have to take into account that this is not how randomness works, you aren't "owed" a certain amount of blocks every day, you only have a certain "increased chance" to find those blocks (and so does everyone else according to the hash power they bring to the table).

I've been mining for a while, and I am used to days where I mine practically nothing, and days where I mine even more than what I expected.

I suggest you watch that tutorial, and maybe also try and increase the number of connections your wallet has with the network. (should reduce orphan blocks)

Thank you so much.. i absolutely understand how randomness and luck plays into mining or solo mining however having said that. when you have 1/200 chance of finding the next block and over 1500 independent instance you don't find a single block. statistically it gets harder and harder... I can walk you through the math if you like with 0.4% probability in an independent instance the probability of not finding a single block in 1500 independent instance is around 0.58% and finding 1 / 1500 instances with probability of 0.40% is around 99.42%.

Thank you for youtube video i will take a look and try to increase my network connection.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 09:30:00 pm »
when you have 1/200 chance of finding the next block and over 1500 independent instance you don't find a single block. statistically it gets harder and harder...

I'm sorry, but that's exactly NOT how randomness works.

Let's look at a simple example so you get the gist of it: let's look at the example of throwing a coin multiple times.
I win when TAILS comes up, I win nothing when HEAD comes up.

Suppose I throw a coin 100 times in a row, and it always comes up HEAD. 100 times.
Wow, that's very unlucky, isn't it?
How big do you think the chances are that TAILS comes up when I throw for the 101th time?

After all, TAILS hasn't come up for 100 throws, so now there must be a very large "pressure" for TAILS to finally come up, right?

Answer:

Nope, the chance for HEAD or TAILS to show up in the next coin toss is still 50%, as it always is, with every coin toss you make.

Your feelings or "urgency" don't matter. At all!

Just because you had the insanely improbable encounter of tossing HEADS a 100 times in a row, doesn't mean that now there is some sort of INCREASED STATISTICAL chance that the 101th throw has to be TAILS.

Nope, chances remain the same: 50%.

Every new toss (or block) has to be looked at separately, your previous success (or failure) does not influence the chance for finding the next block IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

Basically the lesson to take away from this example is:

Randomness doesn't owe you shit, it only laughs at your efforts, lol. ;D ;D

crypticj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 04:42:38 am »
when you have 1/200 chance of finding the next block and over 1500 independent instance you don't find a single block. statistically it gets harder and harder...

I'm sorry, but that's exactly NOT how randomness works.

Let's look at a simple example so you get the gist of it: let's look at the example of throwing a coin multiple times.
I win when TAILS comes up, I win nothing when HEAD comes up.

Suppose I throw a coin 100 times in a row, and it always comes up HEAD. 100 times.
Wow, that's very unlucky, isn't it?
How big do you think the chances are that TAILS comes up when I throw for the 101th time?

After all, TAILS hasn't come up for 100 throws, so now there must be a very large "pressure" for TAILS to finally come up, right?

Answer:

Nope, the chance for HEAD or TAILS to show up in the next coin toss is still 50%, as it always is, with every coin toss you make.

Your feelings or "urgency" don't matter. At all!

Just because you had the insanely improbable encounter of tossing HEADS a 100 times in a row, doesn't mean that now there is some sort of INCREASED STATISTICAL chance that the 101th throw has to be TAILS.

Nope, chances remain the same: 50%.

Every new toss (or block) has to be looked at separately, your previous success (or failure) does not influence the chance for finding the next block IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

Basically the lesson to take away from this example is:

Randomness doesn't owe you shit, it only laughs at your efforts, lol. ;D ;D

Please re read my response, I understand randomness and i also understand independent instances, what you are referring to is independent instance. Each block is independent of each other for my miner to find it.

What you are failing to grasp to comprehend is that over normal distribution curve when an instance goes out of 3 Standard deviation we refer to that as black swan event. The probability of not finding 1 block out of 1500 independent instance with a probability of 200 is 0.58% it is still possible anything is possible but with binomial statistical distribution as the number of blocks increases and my probability stays the same [i understand each instance is independent] there is something that is telling me that for me as  a miner it is not working.

Please when you give Heads and Tails example thats Highschool level statistics stuff, just for credential purposes I am a Data scientist for a large fortune 500 I have masters in Biochemical engineering with minor statistical analysis [not bragging ] just giving you some context to help you understand that I know what I am speaking of when it comes to statistics. FYI!!!

dominus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 06:32:10 am »
@crypticj
You need spreadminer and not ccminer.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 06:58:35 am »
Please when you give Heads and Tails example thats Highschool level statistics stuff, just for credential purposes I am a Data scientist for a large fortune 500 I have masters in Biochemical engineering with minor statistical analysis [not bragging ] just giving you some context to help you understand that I know what I am speaking of when it comes to statistics. FYI!!!

Okok, I believe you, lol.
But keep in mind that with the randomness of cryptographical hashfunctions (chasing solutions based on fluctuating parameters like difficulty etc) we introduce additional uncertainties (net hashrate fluctuates, block spacing fluctuates (sometimes we make 1500 sometimes 1350 blocks a day, etc..) that make the statistical calculation of chance down to 2 decimal places (like you just did) rather impossible. But I see, you just did a quick estimation anyway, but I'm just saying.

(net Hashrate varies widely over the span of just a few hours)

But yes, in general you are right: You "should have" found some blocks.

So, I can't say why you didn't find a block within the time and with the hashrate that you stated,
but I would guess that it could be that...

a) ... you didn't really check for 24 hours, but rather just for "a workday" which should be shorter
b) ... your hashrate fluctuates also (maybe your GPU scales power down after certain degrees are reached, or something)
c) ... something is wrong with your setup and you don't actually contribute your hashrate to the SPR network

It probably has something to do with c)

Please keep us updated.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 07:07:11 am »
@crypticj

That could be it.
If a person uses ccminer (X11 version) with the spreadcoin wallet, it wouldn't even throw an error and tell you about it.
Those tools are not very sophisticated.
Also, it isn't like the spreadcoin wallet is broadcasting to the mining tool what Hash Algo it needs to run.
Neither ccminer nor wallet will complain when the Hash Algos do not match.

Now that you mention it, crypticj states that he makes 12.5 MHashes with a GTX 1070, which sounds a little high for this GPU if you ask me.
This does sound like he was mining Dash or something.
With Spreadminer (the sp_ version) and GTX 1070 he would probably only make around 9 MHashes.

EDIT: Yep, I remember a conversation I had with pokeytex:

Sweet - I use all 1070's.  [...]

So how many hashes does a 1070 do [...]?
[...]

...I have SP's miner as a tool.  It gets 8500 - 8900 mhs/sec.  I have the mem clock down to -512 and the core clock at +125.

So yeah, that's probably it: wrong miner.

@crypticj: Spreadcoin uses SpreadX11 and not X11, so you will have to use the spreadcoin-version of the ccminer, which is called spreadminer.

crypticj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:22:57 pm »
@crypticj

That could be it.
If a person uses ccminer (X11 version) with the spreadcoin wallet, it wouldn't even throw an error and tell you about it.
Those tools are not very sophisticated.
Also, it isn't like the spreadcoin wallet is broadcasting to the mining tool what Hash Algo it needs to run.
Neither ccminer nor wallet will complain when the Hash Algos do not match.

Now that you mention it, crypticj states that he makes 12.5 MHashes with a GTX 1070, which sounds a little high for this GPU if you ask me.
This does sound like he was mining Dash or something.
With Spreadminer (the sp_ version) and GTX 1070 he would probably only make around 9 MHashes.

EDIT: Yep, I remember a conversation I had with pokeytex:

Sweet - I use all 1070's.  [...]

So how many hashes does a 1070 do [...]?
[...]

...I have SP's miner as a tool.  It gets 8500 - 8900 mhs/sec.  I have the mem clock down to -512 and the core clock at +125.

So yeah, that's probably it: wrong miner.

@crypticj: Spreadcoin uses SpreadX11 and not X11, so you will have to use the spreadcoin-version of the ccminer, which is called spreadminer.

georgem problem solved You were absolutely right the issue was me using ccminer and not spreadminer.

Did find some blocks in short time, the hash rate did drop to 5.9Mh/s on 1070GTX I am using spread miner 0.1.3
from here http://www.spreadcoin.info/downloads.php

if there is better version or i can optimize it to squeeze more hash rate please let me know, how.

Thank you.

Here are the blocks that i Found

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/spr/address.dws?SRjqDR7DJYd6SQyHo7rzffQeH8f5oMtuNr.htm