Author Topic: Help for Nvidia mining from scratch  (Read 401 times)

baz007

• View Profile
Help for Nvidia mining from scratch
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:29:14 am »
I have read and watched guides on this but am still a little bit confused.
Ok to keep things real simple so i will put in bullet points that way if some can help it will be easy to reply and please note will be very much appreciated.
I have downloaded the wallet - (but not encrypted as wanted to keep things simple to start),and the Nvidia software and synced the wallet.

1. Does the wallet have any way of seeing how many blocks your mining ? or is that just for CPU mining ? Whats the mining tab for ?

2. Someone talks about ensuring you have more than 8 connections between your wallet and the outside world - So how do you check this and change it ?

3. What is and where do i find the SPREADCOIN.CONF file ? or is this just for AMD GPU mining...

4. I have see many variations on editing the EXAMPLE.BAT file. ? Sounds easy, until i realised i don't have a user name and password, where do these come from making this NOT easy to follow anymore.

5. When the example.bat file is run, i see cmd window open and my GPU and a hash rate, however this just sits there doing what looks like nothing, just 2 lines open up (been running for over a day).... is there anyway to monitor its progress to see if its working or not ?

6. Finally i am mining on 7 different computers, do i need to install the wallet and run the same process on each one (as i have done currently) or can i have a centralised computer with the wallet that all the others feed into ? Also are there any benefits / downsides to doing this ?

I do understand that there is a lot of questions here, and possibly covered in various threads, however i have tried to research this and am struggling so here i am hoping to find all the answers. Many thanks

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Help for Nvidia mining from scratch
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:14:11 pm »
1. Does the wallet have any way of seeing how many blocks your mining ? or is that just for CPU mining ? Whats the mining tab for ?

Of course.
All the blocks that you mine will appear as unique transactions in your wallet.

2. Someone talks about ensuring you have more than 8 connections between your wallet and the outside world - So how do you check this and change it ?

The more connections your wallet has the better you can spread info about your new found block. It helps prevent orphan blocks.
You will need to open port 41678 and forward it to your local IP that runs your spreadcoinwallet.

3. What is and where do i find the SPREADCOIN.CONF file ? or is this just for AMD GPU mining...

You have to create the file yourself.
Put it in the same folder where Spreadcoin stores its blockchain.
On windows this is usually C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\SpreadCoin

4. I have see many variations on editing the EXAMPLE.BAT file. ? Sounds easy, until i realised i don't have a user name and password, where do these come from making this NOT easy to follow anymore.

Read other threads here, this has been explained countless times.
You need to put the same rpc credentials in the example.bat and in the spreadcoin.conf file.

5. When the example.bat file is run, i see cmd window open and my GPU and a hash rate, however this just sits there doing what looks like nothing, just 2 lines open up (been running for over a day).... is there anyway to monitor its progress to see if its working or not ?

Something seems wrong in your setup. It should create a new line every few seconds and show you the current hashrate.

6. Finally i am mining on 7 different computers, do i need to install the wallet and run the same process on each one (as i have done currently) or can i have a centralised computer with the wallet that all the others feed into ? Also are there any benefits / downsides to doing this ?

Yes, you can have  a central computer and use that  to send "work" to a bunch of local computers that run GPUs.
Each computer will have its own example.bat, and in that example.bat you will no longer input 127.0.0.1 but the respecitve local IP that runs your wallet, for example 192.168.178.31 or whatever...

I do understand that there is a lot of questions here, and possibly covered in various threads, however i have tried to research this and am struggling so here i am hoping to find all the answers. Many thanks

No problem. Keep on digging, and don't give up.

baz007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:07:21 am »
Hi Georgem,

Firstly thank you so much for your help and answering my questions.
Could i just clear up  a couple of answers sorry to be a pain.

Question 1 : Understood thanks

Question 2 i have seen the following which is your article.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Set your bat file up like this:

spreadminer -o http://127.0.0.1:41677 -u XXX -p YYY

where XXX is your rpcusername, and YYY is your rpcpassword as you defined them in your spreadcoin.conf file, which should look something like this:

rpcuser=XXX
rpcpassword=YYY
rpcport=41677
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
server=1
listen=1
miningprivkey=<YOUR_PRIV_KEY>

if that still doesn't solve the problem, see if your firewall is blocking the port."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However you said in there port 41677 but you wrote i should open port 41678  in answer to question 2 ? which is correct ?
Also when you say i should open the port do you mean  in the router or on the wallet ?
Is there anyway to view how many connections you have connected ?

Question 3 SPREADCOIN.CONF, i see that this is what should be inside the file from your other article, thanks however see below ref mining privkey

rpcuser=XXX
rpcpassword=YYY
rpcport=41677
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
server=1
listen=1
miningprivkey=<YOUR_PRIV_KEY>    ------------  WHAT IS THIS ?

Question 4 : So if i am understanding correct it does not matter what the user name and password are so long as EXAMPLE.BAT & SPREADCOIN.CONF are identical. So i can could put e.g. rpcuser=baz, rpcpassword=007. Am i correct in saying this.

Question 5 : Understood thanks, could that be because i haven't written a SPREADCOIN.CONF file ?

Question 6 : Understood thanks. Great  would i also need to write a SPREADCOIN.CONF file with the local ip in it along with the amended EXAMPLE.BAT or that only for the main machine. ?

Really do appreciate your help thank you once again.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 03:29:29 pm »
However you said in there port 41677 but you wrote i should open port 41678  in answer to question 2 ? which is correct ?

Both are correct.
41677 is the RPC-Port, used for local communication between spreadminer and the wallet.
41678 is the normal TCP Port, used for communication between DIFFERENT nodes/wallet spread all around the globe.

In your router you open the port 41678 so that your node can have more connections with other nodes (and vice versa).

Don't ever open your rpc-port 41677 to the outside world, it could be fatal.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 03:32:41 pm »

miningprivkey=<YOUR_PRIV_KEY>    ------------  WHAT IS THIS ?

miningprivkey is the private key of a SPR address you choose to mine.
All the blocks that you now mine will be sent to this address, that's why we are doing this.

So, go to your wallet, choose (or create with Vanitygen) an SPR address you would like to use.
Then go to -->Tools --> Debug Console --> Console and type

dumpprivkey <your_SPR_Address>

for example

dumpprivkey SbLG98vroUYKprbu33m5Hvn8ZrMKpJNeLJ

then it will output that privatekey that you will have to paste here:

miningprivkey=7etc..........................

baz007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 04:30:53 pm »
Thanks again for help.

Ok all machines up and running however only 1 out of 7 is doing anything...
The rest just sit with 2 lines open and don't do anything.
It is becoming far far too difficult i think to mine this coin.
I picked this as expecting it to be easy but upto now its been the hardest of any coins i have mined.

One final cast out for help before i call it a day with this coin.

All the machines have very high spec GPU's, but only 1 machine appears to be working (still no blocks accumulated)

They open and start but then stay with just 2 lines open.
I have checked the CONF and BAT files all correct same as the machine that seems to work.

Any help further would be greatly appreciated, just feel i have wasted my time.

baz007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:51:27 am »
Hi Georgem,

Ok my machine that is doing exactly what I expect has been running for days now and the wallet has 0 balance.
Why is this ? The hash rate is 4975 khash/s and generating new lines every couple of seconds.
Where can I see what its doing, apart from on the CMD screen where it keeps generating new lines. ?
Surely I have mined something in this time.
All the other machines that I could not get to work with this coin have been mining ETC and I have mined nearly 8 in the same time scale.

Whats happening please help some more, who is getting the rewards for all my hard work

baz