Poll

Continue old BCT-thread or new self-moderated BCT-thread?

Old original BCT-Thread
17 (54.8%)
New self-moderator BCT-Thread
14 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Continue old BCT-thread or new self-moderated BCT-thread?  (Read 8694 times)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
Continue old BCT-thread or new self-moderated BCT-thread?
« on: February 10, 2015, 03:52:22 pm »
Please let's have a vote, how we are finally going to resolve this mess.

What I like about the old original thread, is that it was started by Mr. Spread, it is original and has the history of the last 6 months in it. That's invaluable.
Who cares about the trolls, just ignore them, and keep discussing important stuff.

What I like about the new thread, is that it is clean. But what I absolutely hate about it, that it makes us look fake with a name like "Spreadcoin_" and with the notion that we constantly have to  explain ourselves why we need a self-moderation process.

In this poll, you will be allowed to vote twice, and even change your votes.
If you are undecided, you can vote for both or none.  :)

Let's resolve this once and for all.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Continue old BCT-thread or new self-moderated BCT-thread?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:04:53 pm »
Another positive thing about the old thread is, that it is being pushed to the front of the altcoin-threads all the time, making it visible to newcomers at BCT.

I much prefer an overactive thread that is troll-infested but keeps everybody talking about us, than a new self-moderated thread that makes everybody doubt our intentions.

Strumpet!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:05:11 pm »
Voted the moderated thread. I see no advantage to letting idiots waste my time.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:07:42 pm »

Yeah, if you let them.
If you use "Ignore" everybody could continue the discussion without problem.
What we just have to do is talk to everybody who thinks it's a great idea to continuously quote and answer the trolls.

Look, how come Darkcoin has survived MONTHS of constant trolling, but we weaklings need self-moderation?  >:(

Strumpet!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:14:50 pm »

Yeah, if you let them.
If you use "Ignore" everybody could continue the discussion without problem.
What we just have to do is talk to everybody who thinks it's a great idea to continuously quote and answer the trolls.

Look, how come Darkcoin has survived MONTHS of constant trolling, but we weaklings need self-moderation?  >:(

I would have preferred that the DRK thread be moderated too. There's nothing weak about kicking your enemies where it hurts them.  :D

How weak is it that you think Spread needs constant thread bumpage by morons on BCT?

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 04:22:16 pm »
How weak is it that you think Spread needs constant thread bumpage by morons on BCT?

I didn't say that I think that Spread NEEDS the thread bumpage. But there is no such thing like bad publicity. In a way I like it that trolls attack us, it proves that we must be doing something right.
It keeps everybody discussing: Are pools possible? How can we prevent them? Such an important field of discussion, and spreadcoin is in the middle of it.  :)

Most of the 300 pages of the old thread have valuable information, with our dev being the original thread-starter.
I now think that it is really stupid and dangerous to give that up.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 04:29:04 pm »
I created spreacointalk to allow for an ordered clean information gathering regarding spreadcoin.

The original thread over at BCT maybe doesn't need to fullfil this function. It just needs to be our portal to the most active altcoin gathering place on the planet.

We should be careful how we want our first impression be to newcomers.

It's not a shame to have trolls attack you.
But I now believe that stifling free speech (with our self-moderation thread) will completely back-fire and it's like we are shooting ourselves in the foot with this.

duboisi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 04:36:09 pm »
First there must be a closing date/time for the voting.

We can express our views and cast out vote. BUT ultimate decision should be made by Mr. Spread.
Once Mr. Spread makes his decision, discussion on this topic should ceased.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 04:45:29 pm »

We can express our views and cast out vote. BUT ultimate decision should be made by Mr. Spread.
Once Mr. Spread makes his decision, discussion on this topic should ceased.

Absolutely.

I haven't heard Mr. Spread make his final decision. I don't doubt that he gave MyFarm the permission to start the new thread. But still... he was practically in a disabled mode (banned, working on more important things, etc..) while he has made that decision, so...  I need an official statement coming from his own BCT account, to make this crystalclear.

From that moment on I will just go where he goes. No problem with that.
And I hope that no one here gets mad at me for doing this.

We just need a final clarification, it's just that we REALLY should understand what effect our decision will have.

MyFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 04:45:53 pm »
We should absolutely stay with the self-moderated thread.  Wasting our time with trolls removes our focus.  There is nothing wrong with having the means to remove trolling and FUD.  If we were to remove legit, critical posts, THAT would be the issue.  I want free speech but free speech does not protect you if you yell, "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire.  The trolls are currently and will forever yell fire and we have a right to remove that.  If people say our movie sucks and they have legit reasons for that assertion, those posts should not be deleted.

There are far too many coins that Spreadcoin threatens for us not to have a moderated thread.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »

Closing date is Mr. Spreads first post we see at BCT in the next few hours.
Whichever thread he posts in, is the thread that should stay alive. IMHO.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 04:51:59 pm »
We should absolutely stay with the self-moderated thread.  Wasting our time with trolls removes our focus.  There is nothing wrong with having the means to remove trolling and FUD.  If we were to remove legit, critical posts, THAT would be the issue.  I want free speech but free speech does not protect you if you yell, "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire.  The trolls are currently and will forever yell fire and we have a right to remove that.  If people say our movie sucks and they have legit reasons for that assertion, those posts should not be deleted.

There are far too many coins that Spreadcoin threatens for us not to have a moderated thread.

I understand your points, I really believed in those points too just until yesterday.

Today I think that the ignore-feature is enough to have us normal people continue an ordered discussion at BCT. Darkcoin managed to get rid of the trolls by strongly convincing everyone that the trolls should not be quoted or talked to.

We didn't do that, instead I have seen many people (who should know better) constantly quoting and repeating the trolls, which is what enabled their shit-storm in the first place.

If we can't get order in our original thread WITHOUT coercive measures (having the means to just silence whoever we wish) it makes us look SO CENTRALIZED, and then it is just sad...

... just sad...

... to be the coin that strives to be DECENTRALIZED while we use self-moderation.

This is just wrong.  8)

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 05:06:16 pm »
MyFarm, you started this thread:

"When Mr. Spread is unbanned from BTC Talk I suggest we start a moderated ..."

and seeing that we didn't wait for Mr. Spread to be unbanned but instead we made the very hasty decision to accelerate things and just start a new thread...

... this makes me believe that we are not in control here, but always acting in "zugzwang" (to borrow a chess-term)... it's like we don't have the freedom to decide our next step voluntarily, but are always forced to do something. Exactly as intended by the coordinated trolls.

That's why I say we need to reevaluate our decision.

Strumpet!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 05:44:53 pm »
But I now believe that stifling free speech (with our self-moderation thread) will completely back-fire and it's like we are shooting ourselves in the foot with this.

Bollocks. The trolls are welcome to exercise their right to 'free speech' somewhere else.

georgem

• Tech Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 05:54:23 pm »

Bollocks. The trolls are welcome to exercise their right to 'free speech' somewhere else.

We should let them exercise their freedom. Freedom works both ways.

Your freedom comes from your own decision if you want to answer the trolls or even READ their posts.

We can handle this, like darkcoin.

The cool thing about competition is that we can always learn from them how they have solved problems we haven't yet.